Search By Town
- Aran Islands
- Galway City
- Inishbofin Island
- Ros Muc
Search By Area
Search By Map
Galway Visitor Attractions
Dun Aonghasa - Aran Islands .....
Aughnanure Castle - Oughterard .....
Connemara National Park - Letterfrack .....
Patrick Pearse Cottage - Ros Muc .....
Coole Park - Gort .....
Athenry Castle - Athenry .....
Portumna Castle and Gardens - Portumna .....
Dun Aonghasa - Aran Islands
Perched spectacularly on a cliff overlooking the Atlantic ocean, this is the largest of the prehistoric stone forts of the Aran Islands. It is enclosed by three massive dry-stone walls and a "chevaux-de-frise" consisting of tall blocks of limestone set vertically into the ground to deter attackers. The fort is about 900m from the Visitor Centre and is approached over rising ground.
Connemara National Park - Letterfrack
Situated near Letterfrack, the Park covers some 2,000 hectares (4942 acres) of scenic countryside, rich in wildlife on the slopes of the Twelve Bens. Attractions include exhibitions, nature trails, audio-visual show. In addition there is a summer programme of walks, talks and special events for younger visitors. Access for visitors with disabilities in the Visitor Centre.
Patrick Pearse Cottage - Ros Muc
A small restored cottage used by Patrick Pearse (1879-1916) leader of the 1916 Rising, as a summer residence. The interior, although burned during the War of Independence, has been reconstructed and contains an exhibition and a number of momentoes of Pearse.
Coole Park - Gort
Coole Park, now a nature reserve, was the home of Lady Augusta Gregory dramatist, and co-founder with dward Martyn and W.B. Yeats of the Abbey Theatre. Attractions include exhibitions, tea-rooms, nature trail walks, the famous "Autograph Tree", and a lake and turlough. There are two audio-visual Presentations; "The Magic of Coole" and "Lady Gregory of Coole".
Athenry Castle - Athenry
Athenry is one of the most notable medieval walled towns surviving in Ireland, owing its foundation to Meiler de Bermingham who built his Castle there c.1250. The great three-storey tower, surrounded by defensive walls, is entered at first-floor level through an unusual decorated doorway. Recently re-roofed, the interior contains an audio visual room and exhibition.
Portumna Castle and Gardens - Portumna
The great semi-fortified house at Portumna was built before 1618 by Richard Burke or de Burgo, 4th Earl of Clanrickard. Also a large formal and geometrically laid out garden often associated with large Jacobean mansions.